My travel experience gives me shaky ground to stand on in saying this, but I’ll stick my neck out there and say it anyway. There are few places more beautiful in the United States than Hanalei Bay, Kaua’i. If you’ve never been, it’s at the base of a towering mountain, cut out by a moon-shaped bay. The eclectic town of Hanalei fits just like a puzzle piece into the tropical landscape and the famous Napali coast trail is only 25 minutes away along the coastal road. It’s and amazing place to say the least and my family and I have been fortunate enough to travel there twice.
So what does this have to do with a green egg you’re probably thinking right now. The artistic wood covered plantation style home we stayed in on both visits has an avocado tree in the backyard right outside the door. Until this trip, every avocado I’ve eaten had been ripened off the vine. And you know there is nothing like tree-ripened fruit. All fruit in Hawaii is amazing but I wasn’t expecting this. So soft, so buttery, so delicious, hence the “The lovely green egg”. Every time I get to enjoy an avocado I think about that house and how special those family trips were.
This weeks recipe is in honor of the avocado and all the healthy fat it provides. You can go in a couple of directions with it depending on what herb you decide to use. Try it both ways, it makes a great salad dressing, either way. Let’s cook
Creamy Avocado Salad Dressing
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 1/2 cup Organic extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the avocado, lemon juice, water, and herb in the blender and pulse until smooth
- With the blender on the lowest speed slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream
- It may get a little splashy at first but will come together
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Use right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days